Tuesday, March 09, 2010

vans in my head...

To get the most out of this post, hit play before you start reading.


For some, it's all about Chuck Taylor. In fact, a good part of my childhood was spent with the ubiquitous star on the inside of my ankles. But for the last ten years or so, I've been a Vans man. Slip-ons to be exact.

Anyway, here's every pair I've ever owned. Chronologically. Starting at 12 o'clock and moving clockwise.


My oldest pair has been through a lot, including spray paint and a Sharpie redesign. But they also show the wear that most Vans slip-on aficionados will be able to identify. The footbed is worn through to the rubber, the collar lining is shredded. Most obviously, the fabric across the foot is torn, propagated from that same spot - you know, where the vamp meets the foxing. When one walks in these shoes, the rubber foxing wants to pull away from the cloth across the foot and the point where your foot bends is where this eventually occurs. All in the game, though.


My favorite ones tend to be the loudest, because, well, you know me. Worn with a sense of irony, but not really.


And these are my "work" Vans. Much more professional than the others, of course.


If you feel like getting me a pair, I'm a men's 10.5. Have some fun with them here.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

The first pair is the best pair!!!!