Sunday, April 19, 2009

baker's dozen...

Despite my ability to talk shit and sandbag with the best of you all, I have never won a race.


That changed yesterday at Baker's Dozen. 24 laps, 13 hours, 3 teammates, and we won with a lap to spare. Fuck yeah. I don't pretend to think that I won this race. I just got lucky by convincing Lauri and Slick Rick - two individuals with too many individual and team victories to list - to ride with me. Talk about standing on the shoulders of giants. Either way it feels good to finally have won a race after 5 or 6 years of taking this sport kind of seriously.


I've had a few podiums along the way - each one a great experience in its own way. But it feels good to win. I know a lot of the cyclists reading this blog are either naturally talented, super hard workers, have been at it for a while, or are tremendous sandbaggers. And as such have, as such, tallied up a few wins in their cycling careers. I just hope it still feels as good after the first time.


Many thanks to the DCCofD / FZK members, and many congratulations to the other who marched victorious. I think our entourage took top honors in 3 categories, with some other stellar podiums on top of the wins. And thanks to Tom, Jimbo, and Amy - who did a great job supporting and deserve equal credit for all results.

No comments: