Tuesday, November 11, 2008

dog fever...

Not a lot to report on, Dear Reader. I think one of the reasons I have been blogging less lately is my lack of ownership of a good digital camera. Something that is small enough to fit in the back pocket of a jersey or a good pair of Daisy Dukes. I plan on remedying that this week.

I have been taking some pictures with my Grandfather's old Nikon FG. I have no idea what I'm doing with the thing, but the first 5 rolls of film (dating back to Christmas 2007) are being developed as you read this. That being said, I do plan on learning to use the thing. You know, taking it out with a notebook, recording settings, taking pictures, refering back to notebook as I throw out 90% of the shitty photos after they are developed. All of this assumes that the damn thing even works. So that's one project I've started that I'll probably abandon in the next few months.


Another such project is my desire to brew my own beer. Yet another bandwagon to jump on. Like the Nikon, I found an old home-brew kit in my basement at home. It has never been used, so I took it into the local home brew store and asked, what else do I need to get started? $100 later, I had everything I needed, aside from my original found brew kit. Funny how that works. Anyway, it seems the list of New Year's Resolution projects is already growing.

Other than that, I've all but abandoned cyclocross for this year. I "raced" the courses I wanted to race - Charm City, Wissahickon, Fair Hill. Mountain biking is just a lot more fun. While I miss the cameraderie that comes with cross, and the cheering and heckling, I really like riding my mountain bike in the cooler weather. Plus, these fall rides are always so laid back. Beers in the jersey pockets, no agenda, no need to ride hard to get in shape, just fun, flowy, challenging singletrack.

Such riding brought me up to Downingtown this past weekend. I've never ridden up there, but it was a blast. I think it's the best "local" area to ride if you want to learn how to ride off-camber slippery roots. Afterwards, beer and food and dirt jumps at Wheelie Ted's house. Some good pictures available courtesy of this guy.

Photo from Dan's iPhone. I left right before this happened!!!

No comments: