Sunday, July 27, 2008

recognition...

This weekend was a full-blown road riding weekend punctuated by a viewing of The Dark Knight. For the first time since his death, I will now say that it is a real shame Heath Ledger is dead. See the Dark Knight if only for his performance. It made the rest of the movie seem cheap, and it was a decent movie at that.

Anyway, 70 miles, rolling to flat yesterday with a big group of DCCofDers. Today, I woke up super early to beat the heat and thunder to ride the upper 60 miles of the Savage Century. I've done the Savage 75 before, a brutal ride, but it skips the worst hills. Today we rode the area from mile 20 to mile 80 on the map below.


It is a hard ride, very saw-tooth, with very little recovery. The descents are technical enough you can't recover, and the climbs are just brutally steep and relentless. To say the least, dear reader, it is a tough ride, today made worse by a lot of waiting and start - stop action. I hate stop - start action.

So you can imagine my delight when Local Hardman Frostbite Steve agreed that a Wawa milkshake (nectar of the gods) would be the ideal recovery drink after the ride.

Not local hardman Frostbite Steve. Instead pictured is anonymous cute hipster girl sucking a Wawa shake through a straw. Nearly impossible if you set the machine to "most thick".

Anyway, as we're scooping milkshake with spoons while waiting to check out, I see a dude wearing a T-shirt and C3 bike short bibs. I don't recognize the face, but I start chanting, "Booooo C3!! Booooo Charm City!!" The guy sees my Henry's Pink and smiles and I ask if he was up racing the Hibernia Duathlon - he's no crosser I recognize. Indeed he was, his name was Corey, and he's an Auer Goon on a mountain bike.

So after I get his name, he asks, "where have I seen you before?" I say, "Not sure, you're not a crosser, so I don't know." He responds, "Were you hanging out with Fatmarc at Fair Hill??? Yes, that's it!! I knew I recognized you! You're the thong dude!"

I must say, it's nice to be a local legend. It was never going to happen via exploits on the bike. I had to step it up a notch. But my name, or at least my pasty-white ass cheeks will be known.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

I think you need to revive the naked chef! (with the spatula)