Thursday, June 26, 2008

not dead yet...

So it's been about 2 weeks since I last posted anything on this pathetic excuse for a blog. I don't really have anything good to say right now, so I'll just fill you in on where I've been for the last 15 days.

My little brother graduated from college a few weekends ago. Tough Cookie and I met my family out there at my aunt and uncle's house for a little celebration. It was great to see my family and brothers. We drank some beers, played wiffle ball, bocce, croquet. We fished for some grass carp. We went around in some canoes on a river, swung off some rope swings. We saw some planes at the Air Force Museum, and saw my great grandmother's picture in the exhibit they had on the Holocaust. She fought in the French Resistance in WWII. I was choked up.

After a short stint back in Maryland - enough time to wash some clothes and repack a bag - I was off to Italy. Val di Sole Italy to be exact, to work at the UCI Mountain Bike World Championships. The work part of it was slower than I would have liked, but in my free time I got to watch some pros racing, I got to watch some of the Euro2008 football matches. I got to take a lap on the world championship XC course on a borrowed bike, and I went on a short white water raft ride. Also saw some old friends, which always feels good.

Life is just flying by and I feel a little lost in the shuffle. The balance for which I have always striven is off-kilter. Or maybe balance means doing everything half-assed. I'm not sure. I'm not unhappy, but I do feel like a spectator watching my life as opposed to the antagonist driving the plot. This is all perception of course - at the end of the day it's up to me to make my life what I want it to be. Sometimes you just get a little lazy I guess.

We'll get it back on track one of these days. At least I'm riding a little bit now that I'm back in town.

2 comments:

ethan said...

If life wasn't crazy enough, Jamie Driscoll is ruining your rock star facial hair theory...
http://tinyurl.com/3o8z9u

Suki said...

the blahs seem to be running absolutely rampant these days.

at least your having yours in exotic destinations.

I'm having mine in the 'burbs.