Sunday, May 25, 2008

before and after...

I've been fighting the urge to cut my hair for some time now. Fighting the urge because, dear reader, it takes a while to grow out ones hair. Mine was longer than average, and there are nice things about longer hair. It is a hassle to maintain: it takes a while to dry, I can't cut it myself, haircuts required all the time...

One of Lauri's finer efforts.

While I love Lauri's work, I was ready for a change. My impulse was to buzz it all off in one fell swoop. But I restrained myself, as I really had grown fond of my shaggier locks. So I hemmed. I hawed. But Wednesday brought the tipping point.

We had an intern start on Monday at my place of employment. A nice kid - well-dressed, well-spoken, confident, capable. Everyone seems to like him, and they are super nice to him as well. He does drag an elephant into every room, however, with his hair. His head is buzzed to 2-3 mm all over, except down a 2-inch wide strip down the middle of the top of his scalp. Here, the hair is 8 or so inches long, and is glued into a wooden-stiff sharkfin on the top of his head.

This mohawk is exceptionally distracting, and while not detracting what-so-ever from his work or personality, has become the center of all conversation around him. The worst part, though, is that no one will ask him about it, or even acknowledge it to his face. So, with Tuesday's big presentation behind me, I knew what I had to do.

Lauri, if you're reading this: I'm sorry.

All told, it took me about 15 - 20 minutes. My roommate helped trim the pesky neck-line. And while mine is not as tall as the intern's, I like to think I have joined him in an unspoken pact - we will not be judged by bad hair. Like the pasted hairs on our heads, united we stand, divided we limply cover the scalp of the world.

We'll see how long this lasts...

2 comments:

David said...

While I celebrate the spirit of this new endeavour I need to tell you that you have nothing but a fauxhawk.
If you are going to rock a mohawk, you need to shave the rest of your head bald.
Punk's not dead!

Suki said...

I'm not afraid to admit I've been contemplating the fauxhawk, myself...

along with some choice piercings and brand new ink.


alas...I'm a'feared I'm too much of a pussy to even go so far as a pre-lez nose ring.


although hormones do strange things to you. I guess we'll just have to see...