Thursday, April 10, 2008

a little R & R & R...

Red Rock Rendezvous is an annual gathering of dirtbags in the eastern reaches of the Mojave desert. Some good friends, now living in the West, convinced me to join them in an attempt to shed the soggy ups and downs common to Mid-Atlantic spring weather. The weather was interesting, but we'll get to that.

Silas and John TP.

Like a rock star, I decided to do this over a long weekend - using only a day of vacation. Fly out Thursday night after work, taking the red-eye home Sunday night in time for work on Monday. Unlike a rock star, I slept in a tent that would eventually be blown over in a strange 70 mile per hour wind gust.

Awkward.

To sum it up, we climbed on some sandstone, climbed on some limestone. We led, followed, and top-roped. We hit the Ultraman Wall, the Rescue Wall, the Black Corridor, and some other crap. We drank some beers. I made some loud, drunken disparaging remarks about what activities I would do if given the choice between solving world hunger and doing said activities. We learned from some PROs. We climbed a little sandstone/limestone laminate. We laughed. We drank some beers.

JF playing rope gun on the hard stuff.

The weather was great. Sunny and 70 during the days. At night the mountains would cool and wind would rip out of the canyon over the campground. Between that and the burros braying, sleep was in interesting proposition. It started raining Sunday afternoon, so we had to bail on the climbing and we headed to the Vegas strip.

Desert weather is more fickle than a 7th grade girlfriend.

Heh... lion balls.

And I ran into my dad on the way home.

[open curtains, Monday morning, Just getting off the red-eye with 3 hours of sleep, I'm walking down the ramp from the plane to the airport gate. I turn on my phone. As I go to put it in my pocket it rings.]

ME: Hello?

CALLER: Hi Robert it's Dad.

ME: Hey Pop.

POP: I'm sitting here in the Philadelphia airport and thought I'd call to say hi. I always think of you when I come through here - I know you're in and out of here like food in a bulimic's gut.

ME [look of surprise and amusement on face.]: What gate are you at?

POP: I'm in the Philly airport...

ME: I know. At which gate are you located?

POP: A5, why?

ME: I'm at C24. I'll meet you at Terminal B.

POP: What?

ME: Just walk to Terminal B, wait at the Dunkin' Donuts stand.

[End Scene]

Family resemblance.

Turns out the old man had a layover on his way to OK City. We had about 5 minutes to catch up, laugh, hug, and head on our merry ways. The world is a small place indeed.

3 comments:

Rosie said...

Aw, I love that you met your dad in the airport!! That's the best!!

IF Chicks said...

your dad sounds very cool..it was meant to work out. syncronicity

Vieword said...

Really Cool Bro :)