Thursday, March 29, 2007

Valuable Time...

I had a great vacation in San Francisco, Tahoe, and Utah. Saw my best friends on the planet, skied with Pop - a skier well suited to my abilities and styles. Saw a great city again, saw some amazing landscapes.

The old man and I on top of Snowbird

Sometimes I wonder what I am doing in Delaware. There is just so much to offer everywhere else... better riding, better climbing, better skiing, better public transit, family, friends. I miss people the most right after I see them and I remember why I call them best friends. Or I see myself in my family and miss them.

This is what you get when you drink too much and run into a hip-height half door at full speed to see what happens.

That question was answered when I returned to reality in the Mid-Atlantic. I have a great job. I have some really solid friendships here. The bonds aren't as strong as older friendships, but I don't have the history here yet - that will come. I have access to some fantasic biking and the best cycling community of which I have ever been a part.

Jan on his new bike: "It feels like I am humping zee trails!"

Maestro Monkey packs up her car after conducting a fine ride at MR.

FM with his new do.

Jan, Monkey, and Fatmarc are but 3 of the many people in this area who I am lucky enough to know. Riding with them these last 2 days reminds me that for the most part I actually do like living here. I like the relationships I am building. I really value the time I get to spend with the characters above as well as the rest of the crew. The grass is always greener, and seeing only the best parts of other areas is deceiving. Sure I miss my best friends and family, but I am confident we will one day live in closer proximity - even if it remains only by phone. Anywhere I end up will have it's ups and downs.

It remains that I really like my life here.

Fun is how you make it, not where you make it, so take it
Why don't you get your running start, it fears you just like I do
I know you're tired, I know, but what if this was the last day on earth?
~Piebald

No comments: