Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Vacation, family, friends, 'cross

Going in order, I just returned from vacation. Flew from Philly to Columbus, OH where I met my brothers, mother, aunt, uncle, and cousin (the latter 3 I haven't seen in 4 years). We hung out for a day in OH then drove to my aunt and uncle's summer place in Tennessee.

The biggest thing near their house is a super Walmart shitbox. We went there for some groceries and a couple laughs. Aside from the 6 OSHA recordables I saw (including a guy blasting a blow torch at the floor) I thought the book section was the funniest part of the store. It could be divided up into 3 sections:
  • Harlequin Romance
  • Shitty spy novels (like sub Robert Ludlum material)
  • the "Inspiration Center" (aka Fundamentalist Christian Brainwashing Zone)
The best book there was titled "23 Minutes in Hell." Read the Amazon.com description and you'll see why I laughed really hard. The south is just a different world.

It was really nice to see my family. I miss them a lot sometimes - I feel like I'm too far from home every now and then. We just had a laid back, water skiing, reading, eating, drinking good time.

Equally as good was driving out to Blue Ridge Summit, PA to hang out with the "Haus" crowd from RPI. I miss them as well; it's just so easy to laugh non-stop in their company. I'd try to explain the jokes, but I don't think I possibly could. It's amazing what good friends and family will do for your morale.

After ordering my Redline Conquest today from Henry's, I decided to go to my first ever Cyclocross practice on Fitzy's borrowed bike. All I can say is this: I am ashamed, depressed, and dumbfounded that I have never ridden 'cross before. It rivals riding a velodrome for the coolest thing I've ever done on a bike.

I am motivated to continue training, including my newly started running regimen (we all know how much I HATE running), so I can actually compete in the upcoming months. My nuts are still a little sore from my first botched attempt at a flying remount onto the bike. 7-8 laps on just the barriers was enough to get the hang of it, but if I want to clear those bastards like Slick Rick and company, I'm gonna need some practice.

I think my next project is building some barriers on which to practice.

No comments: