Saturday, August 12, 2006

Saturday morning fever

Just returned from the Saturday morning Barksdale ride. I love group rides on the road. I love the cameraderie, the bullshitting, the pulling through, the way it seems to make typically monotonous road miles fly by. Today though, I was feeling some negative vibes.

I usually love the Barksdale ride. It's not too hard, it's got some nice people, and it's a decent length ride that doesn't trash your whole Saturday. It's advertised as 17-19 mph lot-to-lot, which I can usually pull on my own. That being said, I don't mind sitting on the front and pulling. I try and keep it steady, and close the gaps to anyone who decides to jump. I like to attack hard on the peppy section, which is allowed as far as I can tell.

Today, however, people seemed to be annoyed with me. Maybe I'm being over-sensitive, but I felt like some of the riders were upset when I was setting the pace. I always eased up when the group split up, I always waited at hill tops to regroup. And the average pace today was 18.5 - right in the pocket. I guess I just felt like it was ok to go harder when the ride leaders were feeling good, but any other time it wasn't ok.

I hope I'm reading too much into this. On the bright side, I got to catch up a little with Fat Marc. I haven't seen anyone from that crowd in a while and it was nice to see a friendly face.

1 comment:

fatmarc said...

dude, it wasn't you, it was teh dude in the blue jersey, it was his first group ride, and he was a super nice guy but was always in the wrong spot, if you were sitting up, he was crossing the yellow line to half wheel you. He didn't know how to get off the front. after the 3x he almost got crushed the leaders tried to help the brother out. That was my take on it anyway. I didn't think you did anything but help keep that ride moving, and man there were times when it needed help badly.

respect
fm