Thursday, August 03, 2006

I feel like...

I just got out of a studio session with Peter North and Cyntheria. Rolled out of the Middle Run Bird Sanctuary parking lot for a 2 hour singletrack romp with JF. Got back to the car soaked with sweat; If I had wrung out my jersey, shorts, helmet, gloves, socks, whatever, I probably could have ended east African drought for the next 3 years at least. This is 2 days in a row I've ridden the Middle Run-White Clay-Judge Morris loop, and I picked the 2 hottest days yet of the summer.

Biking amazes me sometimes in that one day I feel like a soiled chamois, and the next I feel like I've been dropping ecstasy with Big Jan (or whatever he does to stay good but just sub-par). Sunday I couldn't move my legs despite investing 25 bucks in the last nail to seal my racing coffin. Yesterday I felt solid, but wasn't pushing the pace too hard because I was riding with some of my slower work compatriots. Today, with JF taking to the singlespeed like Floyd to whiskey with beer chasers, I felt amazing.

I've been considering making the Shit Pig rigid again, either with her stock 26" fork, or with a 29er rigid fork and matching 29" front wheel for shits and grins. So today, I rode with my fork locked out. No suspension just to try it out. I don't know if it was that, or the fact that we rode the MR-JM-WC loop (see below) backwards from normal, but I felt amazing. I felt on top of my [humble] +2 gearing, I was connecting lines I never saw before, I wasn't touching my brakes. I wish I rode like this all the time.


Any thoughts on the rigid 29er front end? I've grown used to having the front end lifted off the ground from running a too-big travel fork, so I don't think the head angle will be an issue. I'd welcome any input.

No comments: