Thursday, June 22, 2006

fuckin a man. fuckin a.

I have not been riding much at all. Between my f-ed up bike, my climbing trip, weather, and more climbing, I have not had two wheels under me in a while.


That all changed today. With the Shit Pig back in working order (sort of) I tried to hang with the fast guys from the area at Fair Hill after work today. I got dropped by the first group after 20 minutes, and Curt and Andrew were willing to hang with me but I left them at the lot after an hour so I wouldn't hold them up. Sad at best.

I'd say the fractional breakdown of my shitty performance is as follows:
  • 25% dehydration combined with the heat and humidity
  • 25% bike issues (see below)
  • 110% form and fitness - i.e. This fatass has not been riding enough.
The bike issues referred to above were a little bit of undergearing - 32x18 is too low for FH when it's dry. But more to the fucking brakes. The calipers are shot from that shit mud fest 2 weeks ago and they will not retract all the way. So my brakes drag, giving my wheels a solid 1.5 rotations when spun freely and sapping every last ounce of energy I could have left over.

I just ordered some 2005 Avid mechanicals to avoid the mystery that is hydraulics. When I get my Hayes Nines off the Shit Pig I'll try to repair them.

No comments: